After seeing many advent activity ideas on pinterest I decided I’d try it out myself this year. I thought that it would be good to have planned activities to make myself a bit more organised this year.
Many of the activities are craft projects such as making Christmas cards, gift tags, calendars etc. I’ve also listed Christmas parties that I know we’ll be attending and my daughters nativity play. Many of the other activities are the usual ones you see listed like decorate tree, watch Christmas film with popcorn, write letter to Father Christmas, see Christmas lights etc. Some activities that are specific to my family include decorate the church Christmas tree, church nativity service and family advent dinner. The monsters helped me to decorate a card for each day by potato printing a star on to each one.
I then numbered them and wrote the activity on the back. I got some twigs from the garden and spray painted them gold.
Hopefully I won’t find it too difficult to stick to doing each activity on the nominated day.
My latest creation involving little peg people are these smart looking soldiers.
I have made them specially to sell at a Christmas fair this weekend although I secretly hope none sell so I can give them to my kids. I will also be taking along some rainbow gnomes and nativity sets.
Hopefully some more soldiers will soon be joining my rainbow gnomes and other items for sale via my Facebook page Pocket Treasures Please pop over and like my page.
This week at our toddler group the craft activity was poppies for remembrance Sunday.
Because we have about 60 children attending I have to keep it fairly simple. Most of my crafts so far seem to involve a paper plate. This time I cut 2 curvy triangles out of the sides of a paper plate to create a very simple poppy shape. I provided cut up squares of red tissue paper and crate paper and a circle of black card for the centre.
I set up this activity first for my own children. The Limpet placed her red squares in a very methodical way.
I love seeing the differences in my kids creations, I think both turned out really well.
Now that the clocks have changed we always have our tea after the sun has set. I find this time of year a little miserable, its the thought of the cold, dark winter ahead of us. So I decided we needed a bit more light in our lives.
We created these lanterns with some balloons, PVA glue, tissue paper and wool.
I’ve seen a few similar things on pinterest and thought they look very pretty.
I blew up three balloons so they each had a small amount of air in them. We spread some Vaseline over the balloon first as I wasn’t sure how well the lantern would separate from the balloon at the end. We then covered the balloons in a watered down PVA glue mixture and covered with small squares of tissue paper. I deliberately picked autumnal colours. We kept adding more glue and more tissue paper and then decided to add some wool which we covered with a final layer of tissue paper then hung up to dry.
Both children got involved in this activity although I did have to finish the lanterns off when they got bored.
When dry, I cut the top off the balloon and cut a neat circle around the top. The deflated balloon then pulled away easily from the lantern. The lanterns did initially scrunch up a bit as the balloon shriveled but I gently pushed them back into shape.
I put a battery operated tea light in each one as I felt it was safer then a naked flame. They made a great table decoration at our firework party and we now frequently have our tea with the lights off and lanterns lit.
Bonfire night is just a few days away and this year we’ve decided to hold our own firework party. Hopefully the kids won’t be too scared by all the noise!
I decided our house needed a little decorating for the party and rockets seemed to be the most obvious thing.
These started life as a humble toilet roll. I wrapped them in coloured paper and made little paper cones for the top of each one. Then The Limpet got to work on the decoration. It involved A LOT of glue so I was a bit too sticky to use the camera to take photos of their creation.
When they were dry I attached some ‘flames’ to the bottom and strung them up with invisible thread.